Vegan Zucchini Fritters (Gluten-Free)
These easy, healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Fritters are made with chickpea flour for added nutrition and depth. Packed with the perfect blend of spices, these delightful vegan fritters are beyond DELICIOUS, too!
I’m kind of obsessed with chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is extremely versatile & suits both sweet and savory dishes alike. So, when I recently had some zucchini on hand, I knew exactly what I was making! These vegan zucchini fritters made with chickpea flour are SUPER easy to throw together and genuinely have the perfect spice blend, making them addictively flavorful, too!
These Vegan Zucchini Fritters are
Crispy on the outside, pillowy in the middle. A textural delight!
Easy to make.
Filled with simple, wholesome ingredients.
Packed with flavor.
Rich in protein and fiber.
Versatile, and are great served on their own or alongside a variety of dishes or dips.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, egg-free, soy-free, nut-free, sugar-free.
How to Make Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Grate zucchini. Squeeze excess liquid out.
Mix with remaining ingredients.
Form into patties and cook in an oiled skillet until both sides are golden.
See step by step process photos below:
Top Tips for Making Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Keep in mind: the more liquid squeezed out of the zucchini, the drier it is, the crispier the fritters will be. The wetter the batter, the softer the fritters will be.
Nutritional yeast adds some depth of flavor (and nutrition) to these fritters, but it can be omitted if you are not a fan! No other modifications needed.
These spices lend themselves to my absolute favorite zucchini fritter flavor combo, but the base of this fritter recipe will work with any spices of your choosing. If you feel a desire, there is room to play around! If you do, I would love to hear about it in the comments.
You can make the fritter batter ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours before cooking.
These fritters store well in air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To re-heat, place in a lightly greased skillet with a lid over medium heat and cook until warmed throughout OR place in a 375 F oven until warmed throughout.
Ways to Enjoy Healthy Vegan Fritters
On their own as quick appetizer, meal or snack.
Alongside your favorite condiments. We like: vegan sour cream, sriracha, vegan mayo, salsa, guacamole or marinara sauce.
Use fritters on top of salads or inside wraps.
Served alongside soup or chili.
Served alongside other sides dishes.
More Gluten-Free Squash Recipes
Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Author: Kristen Wood | 7-10-2019
- prep time: 15 minutes
- cook time: 15 minutes
- total time: 30 minutes
Yields: approx. 14 fritters
- 2 large (3 medium or 4 small) zucchini, grated (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt or pink salt
- 1 cup chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (or ground cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grate zucchini into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Using your hands, squeeze the zucchini and gently pour the excess liquid out of the bowl. Repeat until very little liquid remanins and the zucchini is starting to feel a bit dry.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl.
- Stir vigorously until all is well combined.
- Optionally, check the saltiness level and (being a vegan batter) salt to taste as needed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat, lightly grease with olive oil.
- Using wet hands or an ice cream scoop take about golf ball sized portions of batter and place in the pan. Flatten slightly with a spatula. (I can usually cook 4-5 at a time.)
- Cook until all is turning golden, usually about 3-5 minutes. Flip, and cook until golden. Set aside.
- Repeat with all remaining batter.
- Serving: 2 fritters
- Fat: 4.7 grams
- Calories: 79
- Carbs: 8 grams
- Fiber: 2.7 grams
Would you like to print this recipe on desktop? Click the green printer icon on the left side of the screen below the social icons.
NOTE: Please see 'Tips' above in the blog post for suitable substitutions, storage advice and more!