Calabacitas Galette with a Chickpea Polenta Crust (Gluten-Free)
An easy and delicious gluten-free galette filled with a beautiful zucchini based calabacitas packed with corn, chiles, onion, garlic & cheese, and enveloped in a rustic chickpea flour and polenta crust.
Our family is absolutely in love with calabacitas; and when I found myself making this beloved Mexican side dish one afternoon, I decided to mix it up a little and experiment with making it a more filling and hearty main dish . . .
. . . being that I absolutely adore galettes, I decided to get creative and make a savory calabacitas galette!
I wanted to create a crust that naturally accommodated calabacitas flavors, and settled on a chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour and polenta (coarse cornmeal) rustic pie crust. And boy was I ever happy with it . . .
We gobbled it up in no time! It is the perfect vegetarian dish for using up your summer squash and zucchini, while also allowing them to shine center stage! And that crust? It is has just the right amount of sweet and salty crunchiness, and makes the perfect accompaniment to a deliciously healthy filling! I just know you will absolutely adore it, too . . .
- The Best Calabacitas:
- 3 tbs olive oil or butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 zucchinis (or any summer squash), sliced or chopped
- 10 ounces frozen or fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup jalapeno (approx 1), finely diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (we like sharp cheddar)
- 4 tbs dairy or non dairy milk
- Calabacitas Galette:
- 3/4 cup polenta / grits
- 3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea / garbanzo bean flour
- 3 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup butter, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (approx.) prepared calabacitas (see above)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 2 tbs water (for egg wash)
- 1 tbs coconut sugar (for topping)